Discovery Bank is flying high right now. So high, in fact, that Discovery wants to add a few extra services to its repertoire such as a pay-as-you-go gym and upgrades to the Vitality Travel programme.
Today, Discovery Bank announced it had reached over 1 million accounts along with strong deposit growth over the past year. To make the achievement even better, Discovery Bank only launched back in 2020 – with the company garnering the 1 million accounts in that time.
“The bank has scaled quickly and built a uniquely powerful digital banking and technology capability,” said the CEO of Discovery Bank Hylton Kallner.
The added services include:
This is a new idea for us South Africans to get used to. A gym that you can pay for on the fly, deciding when you want to go in on your time. All Discovery Bank clients (including those who have a Discovery Account) will be able to use the pay-as-you-go gym service.
“It’s easy to use and clients can access over 170 Virgin Active and Planet Fitness clubs nationwide. Clients simply go to a club, scan the QR code at the entrance, seamlessly pay the access fee of between R75 and R100 (depending on the facility) from either a Discovery Bank transaction account, credit card or using Discovery Miles, and enjoy their workout,” Discovery said.
“As an introductory special offer, Discovery clients can make unlimited use of Vitality Pay-as-you-Gym for free between 20 June and 31 July 2022 and get a free smoothie after their first visit.”
For some, this will be a game-changing service. For most people, however, this will be quite a steep option.
Vitality Travel launched in March of this year. Through Travel you can organise flights, discounts and with some extra travel features. Here you’ll be able to get bigger savings on any flights, and lower rates for the more expensive travel options.
“Since its launch, in the short space of four months, Discovery Bank clients are saving on average 31% per flight. With the complete rewards and personalised experiences that Vitality Travel offers, Discovery Bank makes travel as convenient and relaxing as possible for all Discovery clients.”
If you are a Discovery Bank client, you’ll now be able to enjoy;
- The Lounge – it even sounds fancy. The Lounge. You just know there is where you’d like to be before a flight. Well, if you’re a Discovery Bank client, you can. Through a partnership with SAA, all clients with Platinum, Black, or Purple cards are given free access to the Lounge until the end of 2022. After that, you’ll need to pay for the extra comfort. Just as Mother Earth intended. The free Lounge experience will be available at OR Tambo, Cape Town airport, and King Shaka airport.
- A Priority Fast Track option – we all want to skip the queues. The only problem is, most people aren’t celebrities. If you’re a Black or Purple card holder, however, you’ll be treated like one.
- More discounted flights – SAA and CemAir have joined Discovery Banks network as flight partners. This means that you can now get discounts on flights for all regional or domestic flights.
- Better accommodation – When using Vitality Travel, rates for accommodation will be at their best when using Booking.com. It may only be a few bucks saved, but every cent saved is welcome.
Discovery clients who do not yet have a bank account can now have access to the Discovery Account. The Discovery Account is a fully digital banking service that has zero monthly fees. It’s easy to activate and gives the new clients a few perks for joining.
Once activated, you can have access to these benefits;
- The Vitality Travel programme (mentioned above)
- Discovery Miles account – With this, you’ll be able to track all the Discovery Miles you’ve accumulated across all Discovery products such as Vitality Health and Vitality Drive. You then can use these Miles into cash. These members automatically qualify for 15% off when using their Discovery Miles as a form of payment (when using Vitality Travel, for instance).
- Discovery Pay – Discovery’s payment method that covers a range of Discovery’s products. This allows you to use Health Pay which lets Discovery Health Medical Scheme members to integrate payments for out-of-pocket medical payments. Members will be able to pay for these expenses at participating GP’s, pharmacies, hospitals, pathologists, and radiologists.