Author: Toby Shapshak

Toby Shapshak is editor-in-chief and publisher of Stuff, a Forbes senior contributor and a columnist for the Financial Mail and Daily Maverick. He has been writing about technology and the internet for 28 years and his TED Global talk on innovation in Africa has over 1,5-million views. He has written about Africa's tech and start-up ecosystem for Forbes, CNN and The Guardian in London. He was named in GQ's top 30 men in media and the Mail & Guardian newspaper's influential young South Africans. He has been featured in the New York Times. GQ said he "has become the most high-profile technology journalist in the country" while the M&G wrote: "Toby Shapshak is all things tech... he reigns supreme as the major talking head for everything and anything tech."

“Everybody talks about the open web, — but there is really the Google web,” Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella told the blockbuster antitrust court case against the search giant. The US government is suing Google for its dominance in search, which it argues has been achieved by buying or squashing competitors not on innovation. “You get up in the morning, you brush your teeth, and you search on Google,” said Nadella, the highest profile witness called by the Department of Justice and 38 States in the biggest antitrust case since Microsoft itself was sued over two decades ago. There is something…

Read More

Just when you thought the legal tussles over the broadcast rights for the Rugby World Cup had been settled, eMedia has launched a new legal challenge against MultiChoice. The rugby-mad world is anxiously waiting for Sunday’s blockbuster game when the defending champion Springboks take on hosts France at 21h00 local time – where the most pressing concern is whether there will be a 7-1 or 6-2 split in the replacements. Early last month, the SABC secured last-minute rights to broadcast 16 of the 48 rugby games, including all of the Springboks matches. But this arrangement did not include eMedia’s Openview…

Read More

How often have you tried to make a call during Stage 6 #loadshitting and you just can’t connect? It’s been happening more this year as the cellular networks struggle to keep up with the rolling blackouts. It takes longer to recharge base station batteries – if they haven’t been stolen – when the stages increase the number of hours without electricity. That weaker power source degrades the quality of cellular signals. But calls through WhatsApp do connect and are increasingly most South Africans’ first choice for making calls. WhatsApp is killing the voice call star This voice substitution, as it’s…

Read More

Instead of getting the rights to broadcast the Rugby World Cup on its Openview satellite service, eMedia will have to pay legal costs after its court case against MultiChoice was been struck off the roll by the Johannesburg High Court. The free ride is over MultiChoice said it was “vindicated” after the urgent interdict hearing was dismissed, and said eMedia was “directed” by the court to pay its legal costs, as well as those of its subsidiary SuperSport, including the counsel. “The effect of the High Court’s decision is that the position remains that the Springbok matches at the Rugby…

Read More

DStv-owner MultiChoice has countersued eMedia over the contentious broadcast rights for the Rugby World Cup. Marc Jury, the CEO of MultiChoice South Africa, says eMedia’s lawsuit is a “classic example of free riding” in the broadcaster’s replying affidavit for an urgent interdict being heard today – 10 October – in the Johannesburg High Court. eMedia, you’ve been served… “Despite having the opportunity to acquire a licence to the rights in question, the applicants did not take a single step to participate in the process for purchasing broadcasting rights directly,” Jury said, as reported by MyBroadband. “A broadcaster having a genuine…

Read More

Like every journalist attending a conference in the past decade, I take notes with my laptop on my legs. Every now and then, a presenter will put up a useful, data-heavy slide, I take a picture of it with my phone. Sometimes I look back at those images, but mostly, they fall into the void that is my phone’s gallery. But, when I make the effort to – for want of a better word – sync my notes with my images, I always find useful extra information for an article. Take note(s) I am trying to reinvent how I use tech when…

Read More

In another late, come-from-behind victory, the SABC secured the rights to the Cricket World Cup – after the tournament already started. Cricket-loving South Africans will be able to watch the sporting showpiece after yet another 11th-hour agreement between the public broadcaster and MultiChoice, which owns the rights. Whether that means the Proteas will be any good at this event is an entirely different conversation. Unlike the Springboks, the current rugby world champions, the country’s cricketers have an unfortunate habit of choking (yes, the first way to deal with a problem is to admit it). Airing out some dirty linen The SABC aired…

Read More

At least we don’t have to pay a TV licence for our smartphones. That’s about the only good thing to take from the new SABC Bill being proposed in parliament. Like the previous attempts at finding a new way to fund the SABC – instead of the absurd licence fees that only a small fraction of people still pay – this bill is out of touch with the current reality. Unlike Planet SABC, the real world doesn’t march to the beat of the ANC’s drum. As the first SABC legislation in 24 years, the SABC Bill is “a huge disappointment,”…

Read More

Another World Cup, another SABC broadcast bungle. Or is it another MultiChoice bungle? Just over a month since it resolved the free-to-air rights for the Rugby World Cup, this time the public broadcaster is ensnared in another broadcast rights fight with MultiChoice for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023. It really is hard to say who is at fault, given how these are events that happen regularly every four years, except many South Africans will now miss the Proteas’ usual early exit. MultiChoice released a statement on Tuesday, hitting the negotiations for a six. “After prolonged negotiations, the SABC last…

Read More

eMedia, which owns both e.tv and the Openview free-to-air satellite service, has taken MultiChoice to court to get the rights to show the Rugby World Cup. The Springboks beat Tonga on Sunday and are almost certainly through to the quarter-finals, no matter what Scotland do and the numerical conspiracy theories say. Siya Kolisi will captain the world champions against hosts France on Sunday, 15 October, at 21:00 SAST – in one of the most anticipated games of the tournament. After a last-minute contract agreement by the SABC with MultiChoice specifically excluded rights for Openview, eMedia warned in early September that…

Read More