On 29 August the SA Innovation Summit awarded the 2013 Profile Awards to journalists who excelled in the reporting of science, technology, engineering and related disciplines which include energy, healthcare and infrastructure.
The winners were chosen via a panel of judges, one of which was Stuff’s Editor and Publisher, Toby Shapshak.
The winners are:
• Overall winner – Sarah Wild, Mail & Guardian
• Sustainable cities category winner – Sarah Wild, Mail & Guardian
• Energy efficiency category winner – Sean Wood, Popular Mechanics
• Industrial productivity category winner – Sikonathi Mantshantsha, Financial Mail
• Healthcare category winner – Kathy Malherbe, Daily Maverick (freelance)
• Photojournalism award category winner – Moeletsi Mabe, The Times
The awards are sponsored by Siemens and supported by the Department of Science and Technology and give recognition to the growing number of skilful science and technology journalists.
Entries for the Profile Awards were received from some 40 journalists, most of whom were South African; although the competition is open to African reporters.
Stuff wishes to congratulate the winners of the awards, and we wish them all the best in their future endeavours.